Education and Appointments：
Dr. Mingguo ZHAI
Present Position : professor
Specialization : petrology.
Precambrian and metamorphic geology
Nationality : China
Date of Birth : 12-24-1947
Father’s Name : ZHAI
Academic Qualification :
1. Ph.D. (Geology) from Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1989
2. M.Sc. (Geology) from , Chinese Academy of Sciences 1982
3. B.Sc. (petrology),Northwest University, 1976
* Worked as assistant professor (1976-1989) in the Department of Geology, Northwest University, China.
* Studie as post graduate student in Institute of Geology, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS).
* Worked as associate professor and professor, in Institute of Geology, CAS o Working as professorand deputy director of Institute of Geology and geophysics, CASA
Main research projects in the past decade years are focused in as follows: Precambrian tectonic evolution in China; High-temperature and high-pressure metamorphiam and reconstruction of Precambrian; Ultra-high-pressure metamorphism and continental collision; Mesozoic tectonic evolution of the North China Block.
1. Peng, P. Zhai, M.-G., Ernst, R. Guo, J.-H., Liu, F. Hu, B., 2008. A 1.78 Ga large igneous province in the North China craton: The Xiong’er Volcanic Province and the North China dyke swarm. Lithos 101(3-4): 260-280.
2. Zhai MG,2008,The lithospheric mantle and Crust in NCC before Mesozoic cratonic description.Acta Petrologica Sinica. 24，2185－2604
3. Peng P, Zhai M-G, Guo J-H, Zhang H-F, Zhang Y-B, 2008. Petrogenesis of Triassic postorogenic syenite plutons in the Sino-Korean craton: an example from North Korea. Geological Magazine 145 (5): 637–647.
4. Zhang YB, Wu FY, Wilde SA, Zhai MG, Lu XP, Zhang HF. 2008. Geochronology and tectonic implications of the “Proterozoic” Sluohe Group at the northern margin of the North China Craton. International Geological Review. 50,135-153
5. Zhai MG, Guo JH, Li Z, Hou QL, Peng P, Fan QC, Li TS. 2007. Linking Sulu orogenic belt to Korean Peninsula: evidences of metamorphism, Precambrian basement and Paleozoic basins. Gondwana Research 12：388–403.
6. Zhai MG, Fan QC, Zhang HF, Sui JL, Lower crustal processes leading to Mesozoic lithospheric thinning beneath Eastern North China: underplating, replacement and delamination. Lithos, 2007, 96：36–54.
7. Zhai MG, Guo JH, Peng P, Hu B., U–Pb zircon age dating of a rapakivi granite batholith in Rangnim massif, North Korea. Geol. Mag., 2007, 144(3): 547-552.
8. Peng, P. Zhai, M.-G., Guo, J.-H., Kusky, T., Zhao, T.-P., 2007. Nature of mantle source contributions and crystal differentiation in the petrogenesis of the 1.78 Ga mafic dykes in the central North China craton. Gondwana Research, 12: 29-46.
9. Zhai MG and Peng P., 2007. Paleoproterozoic tectonic events in NCC.Acta Petrologica Sinica. 23(11): 2665-2682.
10. Ni ZY, Zhai MG, Wang RM, Ting Y, Late Paleozoic retrograded eclogites from within the northern margin of the North China Craton: evidence for subduction of the Paleo-Asian ocean. Gondwana Res., 2006, 9: 209–224.
11. Zhai MG, Ni ZY and Oh CW et al. SHRIMP zircon age of a rapakikvi granite batholith in the Gyeoggi massif (South Korea) and its geological implications. Geol. Mag., 2005, 142: 23–30.
12. Zhai MG and Liu WJ, Tectonic division of the Sulu ultra–high pressure region and the nature of its boundary with the North China Block. Int. Geol. Rev., 2005, 47: 1074–1089.
13. Zhai Mingguo, Guo, Jinghui, Liu, Wenjun, Neoarchean to Paleoproterozoic continental evolution and tectonic history of the North China craton. J. Asian Earth Sciences. 2005: 547–561.
14. Peng P, Zhai MG, Zhang HF, Guo JH, Geochronolical constraints on Paleoproterozoic evolution of the North China craton: SHRIMP zircon ages of different types of mafic dikes. Int. Geol. Rev., 2005, 47: 492–508.
15. Miao LC, Qiu YM, Fan WM, Zhang FQ, Zhai MG, Geology, Geochronology, and tectonic setting of the jiapigou gold deposits, southern Jilin Province, China. Ore Geol. Rev., 2005, 26: 137–165.
16. Fan QC, Zhang HF, Sui JL, Zhai MG et al., Magma underplating and composition of crust–mantle boundary zone in Hannuoba, Science in China D 2005 48: 1089–1105.
17. Oh C–W, Kim S–W, Choi S–G, Zhai MG et al., First finding of eclogite facies metamorphic event in South Korea and its correlation with Dabie–Sulu collision belt in China. J Geology, 2005, 113: 226–232.
18. Guo JH, Sun M, Chen FK, Zhai MG, 2005, Sm–Nd and SHRIMP zircon U–Pb geochronology of high–pressure granulites in the Sanggan area, North China Craton: timing of Paleoproterozoic continental collision. J Asia Earth Sciences, 24, 5: 629–642.
19. Zhai MG, Fan QC, Zhang HF, Sui JL, 2005, Lower crust process during lithospheric thinning in eastern North China: magma underplating, replacement and delamination. Acta Petrologica Sinica, 21: 1509–1522.
20. Zhai Mingguo, Precambrian Geological Events in the North China Craton. In: Tectonic Evolution of China (Ed. Malpas), Geological Society Special Publication London, 2004, 226: 57–72.
21. Zhai MG,2.1-1.7 Ga geological event groups of North China craton and their implication.Acta Petrologica Sinica, 2004, 20: 1343–1354. 1.
22. Shao, J, Zhai, MG, Zhang, LQ, Li, DM, Identification of five stages of dike swarms in the Shanxi–Hebei–Inner Mongolia border area and its tectonic implications. Acta Geologica Sinica–English, 2004 78 (1): 320–330.
23. Ni, ZY, Zhai, MG, Wang, RM, Tong, YN, Shu, GM, Han, XL , Discovery of Late Paleozoic retrograded eclogites from the middle part of the northern margin of North China Craton. Chinese Science Bulletin, 2004, 49 (6): 600–606.
24. Chen, B, Jahn, BM, Arakawa, Y, Zhai, MG Petrogenesis of the Mesozoic intrusive complexes from the southern Taihang Orogen, North China Craton: elemental and Sr–Nd–Pb isotopic constraints. Contribution to Mineralogy and Petrology, 2004, 148 (4): 489–501.
25. Hu, FF, Fan, HR, Yang, JH, Wan, YS, Liu, DY, Zhai, MG, Jin, CW ,Mineralizing age of the Rushan lode gold deposit in the Jiaodong Peninsula: SHRIMP U–Pb dating on hydrothermal zircon. Chinese Science Bulletin, 2004, 49 (15): 1629–1636.
26. Zhang YB, Wu FY, Zhai MG, Lu XP, Tectonic setting of the Helong Block: Implications for the northern boundary of the eastern North China Craton., Science in China D, 2005, 48(10): 1599–1612.
27. Zhao TP, Zhai MG, Xia B, Li HM, Zhang YX& Wan YS. Study on the zircon SHRIMP ages of the Xiong’er Group volcanic rocks: constraint on the starting time of covering strata in the North China Craton. Chinese Science Bulletin, 2004, 9(23): 2495–2502.
28. Yang, JH, Chung, SL, Zhai, MG, Zhou, XH, Geochemical and Sr–Nd–Pb isotopic compositions of mafic dikes from the Jiaodong Peninsula, China: evidence for vein–plus–peridotite melting in the lithospheric mantle. Lithos, 2004, 73 (3–4): 145–160.
29. Zhang, HF, Sun, M, Zhou, MF, Fan, WM, Zhou, XH, Zhai, MG Highly heterogeneous Late Mesozoic lithospheric mantle beneath the North China Craton: evidence from Sr–Nd–Pb isotopic systematics of mafic igneous rocks Geological Magazine, 2004, 141 (1): 55–62.
30. Zhang YB, Wu, F, Wilde SA, Zhai MG, Lu X and Sun D, Zircon U–Pb ages and tectonic implications of Early Paleozoic granotoids at Yanbian, Jilin Province, northeast China. The Island Arc, 2004, 13: 484–507.
31. Li YG, Zhai MG, Yang JH. et al. 2003. Gold mineralization age of the Anjiayingzi gold deposit in Chifeng County, Inner Mongolia, implications for Mesozoic metallogenic explosion in North China. Science in China D, 47(2):115–121.
32. Fan, HR, Zhai, MG, Xie, YH, Yang, JH, Ore–forming fluids associated with granite–hosted gold mineralization at the Sanshandao deposit, Jiaodong gold province, China. Mineralium Deposita, 2003, 38(6): 739–750.
33. Chen B and Zhai MG, Geochemistry of late Mesozoic lamprophyre dykes from the Taihang Mountains, north China, and implications for the sub–continental lithospheric mantle. Geol. Mag. 2003, 140(1): 87–93.
34. Miao, LC, Qiu, YM, McNaughton, N, Fan, WM, Groves, DI, Zhai, MG. SHRIMP U–Pb zircon ages of granitoids in the Wulashan gold deposit, inner Mongolia, China: Timing of mineralization and tectonic implications . International Geological Review, 2003,45 (6): 548–562.
35. Liu, HT, Liu, JM, Sun, SH, Zhai, MG. Shear–hosted mesothermal vein system in the Jiapigou Goldfield, Northeast China: Implication for subsequent exploration. Resource Geology, 2003, 53 (1): 1–10 2003
36. Zhai MG, Liu, WJ, Paleoproterozoic tectonic history of the North China craton: a review. Precambrian Research, 2003, 122: 183–199.
37. Zhai MG, Shao JA, Hao J., Peng P., Geological signature and possible position of the North China block in the Supercontinent Rodinia. Gondwana Research, 2003, 6: 171–183.
38. Zhai MG, JH Guo, YG Li, WJ Liu, P Peng and X Shi, Two linear granite belts in the central–western North China Craton and their implication for Late Neoarchaean–Palaeoproterozoic continental evolution, Precambrian Research, 2003, 127: 267–283.
39. Zhai MG, Zhu RX, Liu JM et al., Time range of Mesozoic tectonic regime inversion in eastern North China Block. Science in China (D), 2004, 47: 151–159.
40. Xiao WJ., Windley B.F., Hao J and Zhai MG, Accretion leading to collision and the Permian Soloker suture, Inner Mongolia, China: Termination of the central Asian orogenic belt. Tectonics, 2003, 22, 8: 1–20.
41. Chen B., Zhai, MG, Shao, JA, 2003, Genesis and signification of basic igneous bodies in Taihang Mountains: geochemical evidence of major and trace elements. Science in China, 32,
42. Cheng B and Zhai MG, 2003, Geochemistry of late Mesozoic lamprophyre dykes from the Taihang mountains, north China, and implications for the sub-continental lithospheric mantle. Geol. Mag. 140(1), 87-93
43. Zhai MG, Liu, WJ, Paleoproterozoic tectonic history of the North China craton: a review. Precambrian Research, 2003, 122: 183–199.
44. Zhai MG, Shao JA, Hao J., Peng P., 2003, Geological signature and possible position of the North China block in the Supercontinent Rodinia. Gondwana Research, 6, 171-183
45. Zhai MG, Jinghui Guo, Yonggang Li, Wenjun Liu, Peng Peng and Xin Shi Two linear granite belts in the central-western North China Craton and their implication for Late Neoarchaean-Palaeoproterozoic continental evolution, Precambrian Research, 2003 127, 267-283
46. Zhai,M.G., Zhao,G.C., Zhang, Q., 2002, Is the Dongwanzi complex an Archaean ophiolite? Science, 295:923a
47. Zhai M. G., 2002, Where is the North China-South China block boundary in eastern China? Comment and Reply. Geology, 30,667-668
Zhai MG, Yang JH, Fan HR, Miao LC and Li YG, 2002, A large-scale cluster of gold deposits and metallogenesis in the Eastern North China craton. Inter. Geol. Rev., 44,5,458-476
49. Zhao TP, Zhou MF, Zhai MG,Xia B , 2002, Paleoproterozoic rift-related volcanism of the Xiong’er Group North China craton:implication for the breakup of Columbia. Inter. Geol. Rev., 44,4, 336-351
50. Guo, JH, O’brien, P.J., Zhai, MG, 2002, High-pressure granulite in the Sanggan area, North China craton: metamorphic evolution, P-T paths and geotectonic significance. J. Metamorphic Geol., 20, 741-756
51. Miao,LC, Qiu, YM, McNaughton, N, Luo AK, Grove, D., Zhai, YS., Fan WM, Zhai MG, Guan K., 2002, SHRIMP U-Pb geochronology of granitoids from Dongping area, Hebei province, China: constraints on tectonic evolution and geodynamic setting for gold metallogeny. Ore Geol. Rev., 19, 187-204
52. Chen B. and Zhai MG, 2002, Geochemistry of late Mesozoic lamprophyre dykes from the Taihang Mountains, north China, and implications for the sub-continental lithospheric mantle. Geol.Mag.139 (6): 2002. Pp.1-7
53. Guan H. Et al. and Zhai,M., 2001, SHRIMP U-Pb zircon geochronology of the Fuping complex: implications for formation and assembly of the North China craton. Precambrian Res., 3. 712
54. Zhai, M.G. et al, Large Clusters of Gold Deposits and Large-scale Metallogenesis in the Eastern North China Block. Science in China, 2001, D, 44, 758-768
55. Zhai, et al., 2001, Amalgamation of the supercontinental of the North China craton and its break up during late-middle Proterozoic. Sciece in China, D, V.43, 219-232
56. Guo J.H. and Zhai M.G., 2001, Sm-Nd age dating of highpressure granulites and amphibolites from Sanggan area, North China craton. Chinese Scvience Bulletin. 46,2, 105-110
57. Zhai, M.G.,Guo, J.H., Liu, W.J., 2001, An oblique cross-section of Precambrian lower crust in the North China craton. Physic.Chem. Earth (A),26,781-792
58. Fan, H.R., Xie, Y.H., Zhai, M.G., 2001, Ore-forming fluids in the Dongping gold district, northwest Hebei province. Science in China, D, 44,8, 748-757
59. Zhai M.G., 2001, Signature of North China block in Supercontinent Rodinia. Gongdwana Res., 4,4, 838-839
60. Zhai MG, The 1.8Ga thermal event in the North China craton: a record of early upwelling mantle plumes. In : Crustal Evolution in Northeast Asian (Editors Lee B-J, Lee S-K, Kim J and Lee H-Y), Taejon, KIGMM, 2000, 2-3
61. Zhai MG, Jiang LL et al., 2000, Call in question and discussion: Are there sandwiched low-grade metamorphic slabs within UHP metamorphic rocks in the Dabieshan terrane? Chinese Science Bulletin, 45,2,180189
62. Zhai Mingguo, Cong Boling, Guo Jinghui et al., m-Nd geochronology and petrography of garnet pyroxene granulites in the northern Sulu region of China and their geotectonic implication. Lithos, 52, 23-33
63. Zhai MG, Jiang LL et al., 2000, Call in question and discussion: Are there sandwiched low-grade metamorphic slabs within UHP metamorphic rocks in the Dabieshan terrane? Chinese Science Bulletin, 45,2,180189
64. Zhai Mingguo, Cong Boling, Guo Jinghui et al., 2000,Sm-Nd geochronology and petrography of garnet pyroxene granulites in the northern Sulu region of China and their geotectonic implication. Lithos, 52, 23-33