Dr. Rui SUN
State Key Laboratory of Continental Dynamics
Department of Geology
Xi’an 710069, China
Courses: Physical Chemistry, Thermodynamics of Fluid Inclusions
Geochemical Thermodynamics, Computational Geochemistry
(1) Thermodynamic models for geological fluids and application in fluid inclusions
(2) Thermodynamics of gas hydrates
Thermodynamic models developed include: solubility models for CO2, N2, H2S in aqueous NaCl solutions or in brines; improved SAFT-LJ equation of state for the CO2-CH4-H2O-NaCl system, water-light hydrocarbons systems at temperatures below 573 K; models for gas hydrate-liquid water-vapor three-phase equilibria of CH4-H2O-NaCl, CO2-H2O-NaCl, CH4-brine, CO2-brine systems, and model for gas hydrate-liquid water two-phase equilibrium of the CH4-H2O-NaCl system. Computer programs based on these thermodynamic models are free and can be asked for by Email.
Education and appointments:
2009- Northwest University (China), associate professor
2007-2009 G2R, University of Nancy (France), Postdoctor
2003-2006 Institute of geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Postdoctor
2000-2003 Ph.D. in Survey for Minerals and Prospecting, China University of Geosciences (Wuhan)
1997-2000, Master in Mineralogy, Petrology and Deposit, Department of Earth Sciences, Nanjing University
1993-1997, Bachelor in Chemical Engineering, Department of Chemical Engineering, Nanjing University
12．Rui Sun*, Shaocong Lai, and Jean Dubessy. Calculations of vapor-liquid equilibria of the H2O-N2 and H2O-H2 systems with improved SAFT-LJ EOS. Fluid Phase Equilibria 2015, 390:23-33.
11. Rui Sun*, Shaocong Lai, and Jean Dubessy. Calculation of vapor-liquid equilibrium and PVTx properties of geological fluid system with SAFT-LJ EOS including multi-polar contribution. Part III. Extension to water-light hydrocarbons systems. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 2014, 125: 504-518.
10. Rui Sun* and Jean Dubessy. Prediction of vapor-liquid equili-brium and PVTx properties of geological fluid system with SAFT-LJ EOS including multi-polar contribution. Part II. Application to H2O-NaCl and CO2-H2O-NaCl System. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 2012, 88: 130-145.
9．Rui Sun and Jean Dubessy. Prediction of vapor-liquid equili-brium and PVTx properties of geological fluid system with SAFT-LJ EOS including multi-polar contribution. Part I. application to H2O-CO2 system. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 2010, 74: 1982-1998.
8. Rui Sun and Zhenhao Duan. An accurate model to predict the thermodynamic stability of methane hydrate and methane solubility in marine environments. Chemical Geology 2007, 244: 248-262.
7. Rui Sun and Zhenhao Duan. Prediction of CH4 and CO2 hydrate phase equilibrium and cage occupancy from ab initio intermolecular potentials. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 2005, 69: 4411-4424.
6. Rui Sun, Zengfang Huang, and Zhenhao Duan. A new equation of state and Fortran 77 program to calculate vapor-liquid phase equilibria of CH4-H2O system at low temperatures. Computers & Geosciences 2003, 29:1291-1299.
5. Rui Sun, Wenxuan Hu, and Zhenhao Duan. Prediction of nitrogen solubility in pure water and aqueous NaCl solutions up to high temperature, pressure, and ionic strength. Journal of Solution Chemistry 2001, 30: 561-573.
4. Zhenhao Duan, Rui Sun, Rong Liu, and Chen Zhu. Accurate Thermodynamic Model for the Calculation of H2S Solubility in Pure Water and Brines. Energy & Fuels 2007, 21: 2056-2065.
3. Zhenhao Duan, Rui Sun. A model to predict phase equilibrium of CH4 and CO2 clathrate hydrate in aqueous electrolyte solutions. American Mineralogist 2006, 91: 1346-1354.
2. Zhenhao Duan, Rui Sun, Chen Zhu, I-Ming Chou. An improved model for the calculation of CO2 solubility in aqueous solutions containing Na+, K+, Ca2+, Mg2+, Cl-, and SO42-. Marine Chemistry 2006, 98: 131-139.
1. Zhenhao Duan and Rui Sun. An improved model calculating CO2 solubility in pure water and aqueous NaCl solutions from 273 to 533 K and from 0 to 2000bar. Chemical Geology, 2003, 193: 253-271.